The Sauti Academy is a one-year artist development program that includes singing lessons, performance coaching, event organizing experience and song writing workshops focused on lyrics & melody development. Ultimately, all singers who complete the program will have developed their unique musical identity and a confident stage performance.
We are looking for unique voices & talented, ambitious singers who are interested in exploring a musical career.
The program includes:
- voice lessons focused on voice technique, song interpretation and performance
- songwriting classes focused on lyric writing & melody composition
-events organizing skills development
At the end of each term the students organize a Sauti Academy showcase where they present their musical progress to the world.
The fee is Ksh 21,000 per term (April, August & December are holidays), that is payable per month (Ksh 7,000) but we have scholarships available for talented vocalists who cannot afford the fees. Please not that we however only discuss this after you’ve passed the auditions. All Sauti Academy students are encouraged to contribute to our outreach programs before completing the program.
We are organizing new rounds of auditions on the 24th and 25th of April 2014 from 9am. You don’t need to make an appointment; auditions will happen on a first come, first served basis during those two days.
-musicality; singing in tune, staying on beat, understanding of the song structure, use of dynamics
-performance; your interaction with the audience & your instrumentalist
-song interpretation; use of dynamics, variations in melody and understanding of the lyrics of the song performed
-uniqueness as a singer/performer; we are looking for memorable voices and unique personalities that can develop into memorable performers
During auditions you’re expected to perform 1 or 2 songs (with an accompanist, pianist or guitarist – instruments will be provided but then kindly choose from the list of songs below) & we’ll interview you about your motivation to join the program.
In the 1st round, there are two things that can happen;
-You can be invited to the 2nd round auditions (for which you will get an assignment to prepare at home!). The 2nd round will take place on Tuesday the 6th of May 2014.
-You can be told “No, Sorry” and asked to work on improving your voice & performance and maybe come back another time.
During the 2nd round, you will perform your assigned song in front of the other candidates and if necessary take some extra tests on improvisation & musicality.
The result of the second round can be either one of these three:
- Welcome to Sauti Academy
- Welcome to Raw Talent (our 3-month preparation class for talented singers who need a little extra time and basic skills before joining the Sauti Academy program. There are weekly group sessions on Thursdays and after the three months you should be ready for the full program!)
- No, sorry! Try again next time.
Auditions will take place at the Penya Africa studio in Pangani – Showbe Plaza (entrance C, 2nd floor) on Murang’a Road. You can take matatu nr 6 or 9 from fire station (Koja) on Tom Mboya Street. Tell the conductor you will alight at Guru Nanak which is just after the u-turn on Murang’a Road. Showbe Plaza is the orange building between Oilibya and the Forest Road fly over.
You need to audition with a guitarist/pianist who plays for you while you sing (and of course you can also play for yourself!). Music gets better when you collaborate with others so even though it might be challenging to find the right person, you will have to search hard & put in the time and effort to practice and audition with an instrumentalist. If this is what you want to do, get to work and make it happen
For those who can really not get an instrumentalist, we will avail one of our great instrumentalists to play for you. In case you’d like her/him to play for you, you will need to choose from the following songs (if you bring your own instrumentalist you can sing whatever you like!). If you have any suggestions for additions to this list, leave us a message on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Still the One – Sauti Sol
- All of me – John Legend
- Paukwa – Dela
- Can’t be my lover – John Legend
- Haya – Harry Kimani
- Titanium – David Guetta feat Sia
- Halo /// Best thing I never had – Beyonce
- Someone Like You /// Chasing Pavements /// Make you feel my love – Adelle
- No One /// If I ain’t got you /// Girl on Fire – Alicia Keys
- Brown Skin /// Promises /// I am not my hair – India Arie
- Zuciya Daya – Bez
- Natural Woman – Aretha Franklin
- No one knows /// Jailer – Asa
- Lost without you – Robin Thick
- Thinkin’ bout you – Frank Ocean
- River // Next to me – Emeli Sande
- Diamond /// Stay – Rihanna
- Please don’t leave me – Pink
- Blown Away – Carrie Underwood